Call for Papers for the 1st International Workshop on Oncology and Ontology, ONCONTO 2017, at ICBO 2017

Call for Papers for the 1st International Workshop on Oncology and Ontology, ONCONTO 2017, at ICBO 2017

Alexander Diehl-3

Call for Papers for the 1st International Workshop on Oncology and Ontology, ONCONTO 2017

In conjunction with the International Conference on Biomedical Ontology (ICBO)

September 13-15, 2017 in Newcastle upon Tyne, UK

** Submission Deadline Extended to July 9, 2017  **

https://sites.google.com/site/icbo2017oncologyontology

https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=onconto2017

Workshop Theme and Topics

To effectively treat and prevent cancer, we need to bring together data from multiple domains, such as electronic medical records, genomic data, tissue data, epidemiological data, and clinical trial data. Personalized medicine requires the integration of clinical and research findings from multiple disciplines, and cancer strikes each affected individual in a unique and specific way from the molecular, cellular, anatomical, genetic, and emotional perspectives. We aim to convene an interdisciplinary group of ontologists and cancer researchers through the ONCONTO (oncology and ontology) workshop in order to advance the ontological representation of cancer and related entities to support both broader research in the domain and personalized treatment approaches.

Topics include:

  • Revision and expansion of existing ontological resources for representing cancer and related biomedical entities creation of new ontologies for the oncology domain that address gaps in representation.
  • Ontology-based data analysis of cancer patient or basic research data related to epidemiology, etiology, genomics, diagnosis, and treatment of cancer.
  • Use of ontologies for translational research related to cancer; and exploratory research or position papers related to ontologies and cancer.

We will organize our workshop into different sections based on the topics of presentations. Presentation time allocation will be determined after the number of each submission type is finalized. Panel discussions at the end of each section will be arranged based on the time availability.

Submission

For the paper submission, we will allow three submission formats:

  • Full research papers (6-10 pages) format
  • Work in progress / late breaking results (2-4 pages)
  • A one page statement of interest or current work for podium presentation; if accepted you have the option of preparing a poster for presentation at the main conference poster session as well

  • Relevant posters submitted to the main conference can be presented in the ONCONTO workshop if arrangements are made with the organizers ahead of time

The paper format will be the same as the format used in ICBO.

All the papers will be submitted and handled through Easy Chair:

https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=onconto2017

Workshop Schedule/Important Dates

  • Individual Workshop Papers Due: July 9, 2017
  • Notification of Acceptance: July 22, 2017
  • Meeting: September 13-15, 2017

Workshop Organizers

Alexander D. Diehl, PhD

Assistant Professor of Biomedical Informatics

Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences

University at Buffalo, SUNY

[hidden email]

William D. Duncan, PhD

Assistant Professor of Oncology

Associate Director of the Clinical Data Network

Roswell Park Cancer Institute

[hidden email]

Carmelo Gaudioso, MD, PhD

Assistant Member, Clinical Research

Roswell Park Cancer Institute

Alexander D. Diehl, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Neurology & Biomedical Informatics
Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences
University at Buffalo, The State University of New York
New York State Center of Excellence in Bioinformatics & Life Sciences
701 Ellicott Street
Buffalo, New York 14203

work phone:  +1 716-881-8975
email:  [hidden email], [hidden email]